Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chinatown & the meat meltdown

today my family and I went to Chinatown in Philly to celebrate my mother's birthday. we ate at the "Imperial In" which always has good food. her birthday was actually Friday, but we just went out to dinner tonight.
we as usual got down there pretty fast. it took us forever to find parking though. we roamed around the block a few times and then just decided to park in a lot. as we paid for parking someone pulled out on the street, just our luck. we walked around the corner to the restaurant and sat at a table that was already reserved for us. we ate with some family friends so they had a table ready when we got there. we all looked at the menu but I already knew what I wanted, an order of spicy eggplant and spring rolls. well... when I ordered I did order my spicy eggplant and spring rolls. when I got my order the spring rolls first arrived and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth in their warm deliciousness. I cut open the rolls since they were incredibly hot and something was odd about them. I looked inside and it didn't look like the spring rolls I was used to. I looked at it and said "hmm this looks like meat?". I turned to my mom and said "mom, what does this look like? does it look like chicken?" and she said "no, it looks like dough". well since I haven't been "up close" with chicken in almost two years I just assumed it was a clump of dough. I stuck the "dough" in my mouth and it was what I dreaded it to be... chicken. I immediately spit it out and literally almost burst into tears. the taste was an indescribable mass/mix of what I presume to be shit and just, shit. thank god I didn't chew it, I swear I would have puked. now normally from the Chinese place I usually order from their spring rolls are always vegetarian, filled with veggies and tofu. but apparently the place I went to eat at has two kinds. I actually thought all spring rolls were vegetarian! I assume not.
aside from my meat melt down the rest of the night was rather nice. I re-ordered my "spring rolls" and ensured this time that they were 100% vegetarian. and then about 10 minutes later my order of spicy eggplant emerged with its enticing purple tenderness. it was a nice dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I experienced something similar a few years back. I'd ordered nachos at a restaurant (not as horrifying as it seems, they were loaded with veggies and black beans). They were also loaded with tiny chunks of ham despite having asked for the nachos to be prepared meatless.
    The chunks of ham were carefully hidden too, so I didn't realize I was eating it until I recognized a strange, non-vegetable flavor, and I took a closer look at the dish.
    I was livid, and I wanted to complain, but my parents silenced me; they weren't too supportive of my vegetarianism.

    Oh my...I seem to have rambled.
    (by the way, found you via shyboyswin)

    ReplyDelete